I love to travel and in all my years of traveling, I experienced bed bug in 2 occasions. I am sure that many travelers have experienced the constant itchiness from bed bug. Recently, I have learned that you can significantly reduce this problem by using allergen-proof bedding/pillows and mattresses treated with a silver type solution which repels these nasty bugger. This was introduced to me by an interior designer, Evan Pleet. Of course, here is a great blogging idea and thanks Evan to be our guest blogger.
Here are some bed bug facts:
- Bed bugs are small bloodsucking insects that feed on humans and other warm-blooded animals
- Bed bugs most often feed at night time when people are asleep
- Bed bugs can go up to a year without a blood meal
- a well fed bed bug can live anywhere from four to six months, while a dormant one might live without feeding
for up to 18 months
- Bed bugs often hide in mattresses but they can also hide in the cracks, electrical outlets in walls, behind wallpaper, base boards and picture frames, between beds and in bedding materials
- A female bed bug can lay up to five eggs per day and up to around 500 eggs in her lifetime
- Bed bugs are often carried into houses by clothes, luggage, furniture, bedding and sometimes even by humans
Why does a silver formulation work?
Silver has been known through the ages for its positive effect and ability to fight bacteria. We have now developed a unique silver thread of 99.9% pure silver. This silver thread is woven into the fabric of the Silver Protection bedding. The silver thread is coated so it will never be blackened in use by oxidation. Also incorporated into the silver bedding is a blend of oils from citrus, eucalyptus and lavender, fatal to not only bacteria, but also dust mites, bedbugs, moths and mosquitoes.
How does the silver bedding & pillows work?
Bed bugs and other 8-legged parasites, including dust mites, belonging to the spinner family, eventually die as they come within the electrostatic force field of the silver threads and the force of the incorporated blend of natural oils in the fabric. Scabies mites, blood mites, bacteria and fungi also die shortly after the silver sheet is put on the bed. 79% of mites are dead after 8 days and the rest die within the following days.
- Destroying the dust mites/bacteria’s cell membrane
- Preventing cell division so the dust mites/bacteria die
- Eliminating fungus (Candida albicans)
- Anti-bacterial effect prevents bad smells
- Anti-static effect
- Extremely skin-friendly and reduces itching
- Improves quality of sleep
These silver bedding and pillow also work on dust mites, mildew, c-difficile, E-Coli and Salmonella. So next time when you travel, check the mattress for signs of bed bugs and if you still are not sure, bring a set of silver pillow case and bed sheet with you.
Evan Pleet is a registered Interior Designer and the Principal Designer at E.L.P. Designs and Space Planning, a full service residential and commercial interior design, decorating and space planning firm, serving the entire Greater Toronto Area. For more information contact Evan @ email: email@example.com